Friday, May 11, 2012

What's In YOUR Hangar? Pt.1

Interesting question, right?

So one of my corpmates - Orakkus - asked this question of his EvE character, and of course it got the thoughts flowing.  What DO I have in my hangar(s)?

Quite a bit, as it turns out - especially if I look at this from the perspective of two main characters.

My main player-vs-player character does receive the lions' share of my attention, so we'll start with him.

1x Thanatos - This poor baby is sort of languishing for the moment.  A relatively newly learned ship, I've been set to jump into it several times since I first trained for it a year ago ... but each time I've been on the verge, the need has evaporate almost immediately thereafter.  A new opportunity is about to hit; we'll see what happens then.

1x Bhaalgorn - Awesome, awesome vessel, very powerful and very feared.  An anti-capital sub-capital ship, its job is to destroy capacitors; and it does it very, very well.  Ends up being primaried a whole lot ... as my previous copy found out.

1x Machariel - My shiny Incursion battleship, LFSF!

1x Armageddon - My preferred anti-POS ship (at least until I get a dreadnaught - which I'm working on).

1x Apocalypse - Reaches out and touches someone from 200+ klicks.  Cap stable at it, too, so long as I'm not MWDing somewhere so as to GTFO.  Be interesting to see how sharp it fares once I hit Amarr BS V.

1x Raven - Torp Raven, a ground-and-pound ship whether your target is a POS or another ship.  An effective buffer shield-tanker.  Hard to believe, sometimes, that I still have this ship because heaven knows I've tried to get rid of it, or lose it, or something; but no one seems to want to either kill it or buy it.

1x Rohk - This one is kind of languishing in my hangar.  Originally transferred it from my other character with the idea it would become a smart-bombing battleship for use in low sec gate camping, it never made it out there.  I'd give it back, but I've been given to understand there is a pretty good Rohk fleet protocol in null; perhaps we'll keep it a little longer and see if the need for it arises.

2x Dominix - The Swiss Army knife of battleships, the Domi can do it all, and do it pretty well, too.  PvP in DPS, triage/spider or neut roles; PvE ... everything except struttin' down the runway, lookin' good, because someone definitely beat the Domi with an ugly stick.  A bunch of times.  So homely you can't help but love it a little (but I still wish it'd get a makeover like the Scorpion did).

3x Megathron -When we're flying battleships and I'm told to bring dps, this is the ship I undock,  1300 dps with drones (more, if I re-tweak it for the purpose) and a decent tank to keep me alive, and that much more effective with good logistics on the field.

1x Typhoon - The Flying Barn, not quite as fugly as the Domi (despite being Minmatar and therefore made from spit, chewing gum, duct tape and superglue) but close.  And just as versatile.  I'm really coming to love the 'Phoon.

1x Maelstrom - I bought this ship mainly because it's so beautiful (undeniably odd given it too is Minmatar), as graceful-looking as a clipper ship of yore ... although not as fast.  Damn is it ever slow!  Perhaps a better comparison would be a ship-of-the-line or a frigate like Ol' Ironsides, because when you arm it up that's essentially what you're looking at.  The PvE set I have on it doesn't allow me to tank missions ... but alpha anything of battlecruiser class or less, at range.  I remember the first time I did that I was hootin' - "Target BC, Fire!  Target dead ... cease fire!"  Wash, rinse, repeat.  It's a beautiful thing.

1x Sleipner - One of the coolest-looking ships in the game.  Looks like a shiny tiger ... and fights like one, too.  Fast, powerful, tough.  Expensive, as Orakkus said when referring to his own.  But a ship that good does demand being used.  Originally created for a wormhole op we ended up scrubbing.  (Sadness ...)

1x Oracle - The tier three battlecruisers are vile damage dealers, although they have the tank of a thin eggshell.  I originally grabbed this Oracle to pop POCOs in a wormhole; but there's a lot of good potential for other foolishness with it, as well.

1x Drake - I got this HAMDrake for our first sojourn in low sec, when we were gate camping as a matter of course.  It's a nearly ideal ship for that purpose.

1x Myrmidon - PvE ship for me ... be it through level 3 missions or ratting in null, very capable.

1x Hurricane - The archetypal PVP battlecruiser ... lotsa dps, lotsa speed, plenty adequate tank, on a reasonably economical hull and fittings.  Pretty hard to beat.  Need more.

2x Proteus - Lordy, do I love this ship.  T3's are just made of Win, and the Proteus is definitely at the top end of that.  Tough as nails, versatile, able to bring the pain ... you name it, it can do it; and it doesn't really have to be at the expense of anything else (unlike most ships).  I want to fly it more, especially into combat, but sadly our situation doesn't quite allow for it yet.  Maybe soon.  Meanwhile, it absolutely remains my ship of choice for null-sec ratting, as it easily tanks and destroys the rats while being stealthy and un-bubble-able.

2x Ishtar - I keep sayin' I'm gonna get a Zealot or Vagabond, but I never do because I have these.  Called the "Baby Domi" but it really holds its own and is in some ways better.

1x Curse - Very evil looking ship in its dark paint scheme, fitting given the level of fear the Curse inspires.  Neuting monster from hell, even more so than the Domi at its worst, although not as tough.

1x Pilgrim - Cloaky version of the Curse ... not as effective at it or even as tough, but still an extremely tough and competent ship.  As a very good friend of mine says, the Pilgrim is tough enough to beat many ships, and fast and sneaky enough to be able to run away from what it can't.  A good set of abilities.

1x Rapier - I do so love covert recons.  The Rapier is my most recent addition to this list, and may have leap-frogged the Pilgrim as my ship of choice for that category.  It's quite fragile ... but fast, and able to operate in its specialty - webbing - at range.  Between this and the Pilgrim, I feel a whole lot more comfortable roaming around low-sec.  Competently flown, it should be near impossible to catch anyone in one of these, no matter how effective a gate camp you think you have.  Not say it IS impossible, tho.

1x Guardian - No one in their right mind would think anything based on the Auguror is pretty ... but the Guardi's bright crimson and gold do make for a handsome look.  Armor logi of choice, albeit in need of at least one friend/fellow Guardian to be properly effective.  Need more.

1x Basilisk - Incursion logistics.  Logistics V plus some other select skills means I fly this bad boy in a 6 rep configuration and she's cap stable.  I'm proud of that, I think rightly so.

1x  Scimitar - Man is this an ugly little ship, but darned effective.  Need more of this one, too.

1x Thorax - Instead of a Ruppie, I have a Thorax as a cheap, roaming T1 ganking cruiser.  Six o' one, half a dozen of the other, ymmv, all of that.  Nice, effective ship, okay dps, throwaway cost.

1x Vexor - Left over from my time in Provi a while back, just before CVA got ejected by -A-.  I had actually put it together as a cheap null sec ratter, and it worked.  Okay, yes, to my amazement, I admit it.  A rather nervous process, too, because you had to actively maintain your action in order to stay alive while your drones did the heavy lifting, but it was effective.  And cheap, too ... no worries if you got bounced by a neutral who hadn't been set to red (thank you, CVA, for those asinine NRDS rules) and lost one.

3 or 4x Catalyst - Not sure ... because they're scattered a bit, in the possession of another for Hulkageddon.  660 dps out of a destroyer - who'd'a thunk it?

1x Fed Navy Comet - I am VERY angry that CCP removed my black-and-white police colors, and especially my flashy blue light!!  Give them BACK, dammit!!!!!!   Otherwise, this is a brilliant little ship for the Belt Police.

1x Enyo - Since AFs, hybrids and the Gallente all received buffs in Crucible, I just had to build an Enyo to see what it was capable of.  A mean-looking vessel in its crimson and dark metallic colors, and a powerful little combatant.  I do believe there will be more of them in my future ...

1x Ishkur - For many years my favored AF, going back to immediate post-FW days.  Even with the drones thrown in it doesn't have quite the punch the Enyo does, but still a very versatile craft.

1x Manticore - I need to learn Bombs so my Bomma can function properly in null.  Otherwise speaking, I <3 this ship as a wonderful, sneaky little git of a vessel.  I can't wait until it gets its makeover in Inferno, because it'll look even better than it does now.

3x Taranis - A relic of my Faction War days, I find I still love the Taranis because it's just FUN.  Quick, nimble, fast as hell (almost 4400 kps, before overheating) ... idea for setting instawarps, getting fast tackle, or just booming across the sky for the sheer joy of it.

1x Kestrel - Not sure why I keep this ship.  I suppose just because.

1x Incursus - Recent gift from a temporary corp member who was with us for only so long as it took to fully tank his sec status.  (Have fun, BBG, wherever you are. o7)  I'll have to see what I think of this ship  ...

1x Bestower - Yeah, had to be a hauler in there, somewhere.

I undoubtedly have a massive selection of shuttles, noob-ships and the like scattered hither and yon, but we won't count those.

So what does my other main guy have?

That'll be a topic for another blog ...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home